1.Extract your existing collection. If you’ve been a business person for a long time already, you have a huge stack of business cards, which should be organized. Before you start organizing the ones you may still find useful, go through your cards and adjust the ones that might not be useful anymore.
- Get rid of business cards that advertise services or companies, which are nonexistent now.
- Save really nostalgic cards (e.g. the card for the cafe where you have already got engaged), but put them aside.
Decide how you want to organize your cards. You just can put the business cards in alphabetical order by name or company, if that seems the most useful to you. You might consider to group them by industry or event, and then alphabetizing them. Experiment until you find a system that feels comfortable and right for you.
- Pick an app. There are many apps available for smartphones, which will scan a business card and automatically transfer its information to your contacts or CRM System. You can use the app both in the middle of an event and in your hotel room after you’re finished with networking for the day. Here are a few popular options – they’re free or a few dollars at most.
- Receiving Business Cards. Have your own cards handy. People usually don’t just hand business cards – they trade them. You have never known when you’re going to meet a new contact.
- If you’re having trouble with keeping your cards precise, try to assign a special pocket for them.
- Never just hand over your card without asking – this can be understood as assertive. Instead, say something like “I’d really like to talk to you more about your business and what you do. Would you like to exchange cards?”
Have a place to put new business cards. If you carry a notebook or bag with you on meetings, you should have a place in it for the business cards of new contacts.
- Don’t stuff your business cards in a pocket. They might easily go missing or even go through the wash.
- If you’re traveling and expect to receive a lot of business cards, you can save them in a Ziploc bag in your hotel to keep them neat.
- Make sure the place you put new business cards is not the place you keep your own cards. You should not mix them up.
Mobile apps were created not only for fun but to organize business and different tasks. That’s why every business should have some useful app to be convinced, everything goes in the right way. Two things are important – your business card and the business card reader, you choose for working with it. Choose the right one and stay connected with your colleagues(and not only) 24/7 whenever you are.